Consett's Iron Theatre. It's a Hoax !

History of Consett, Blackhill, Shotley Bridge, Leadgate, Delves Lane, Moorside, Castleside, Rowley, Allensford, Medomsley, Ebchester, Muggleswick, Edmundbyres, Kilnpit Hill, Waskerley and the surrounding areas.

Moderator: yogibear

mizzle

Consett's Iron Theatre. It's a Hoax !

Post by mizzle » May 23rd, 2011, 4:49 pm

I came across this site with photos and description of 'Consett's Iron Theatre'. I had never heard of this and wondered if anyone else had? To me the first photo looks like the old Globe Theatre which was in Front Street.

http://theirontheatre.yolasite.com/

prontopronto

Re: Consett's Iron Theatre

Post by prontopronto » May 23rd, 2011, 5:09 pm

i too have never heard of it what a fantastic photo of the insideof the theatre

Drifter
Site Admin

Post by Drifter » May 23rd, 2011, 6:20 pm

That's interesting, I've not come across Consett History Society. There was Tommy Moore with the Derwentdale Local History Society, and there's Consett Heritage. Mabye it was pre Derwentdale, perhaps Bhx7 will know?

It seems a bit of a conundrum. My great grandfather was born 1880, he was a musical entertainer, singer, etc., at the globe theatre when it was a music hall and was the assistant manager of the Globe theatre. The manager of the Globe theatre was Pashion8's great grandfather, Lloyd Clarance,
When Gracie Fields came to the Globe theatre, she gave my great grandad a hair care set and she lodged with Lloyd Clarance's son or daughter in West Parade. In the article it say's "the theatre had become a ruin and was demolished for scrap in 1913." Gracie Fields was born 1898, this would make Gracie 15 years old in 1913. My great grandad was away in in the First world war and came home in 1917 after getting shot at the Somme and losing his leg. The impression that i got when i was told about Gracie fields and my great grandfather, is that she was older than 15 when she came to Consett.

Tommy Raw

Post by Tommy Raw » May 23rd, 2011, 6:42 pm

A wonderful piece of local history, totally new to me and many others I would imagine.

What an asset this forum is for displaying and also discovering such treasures - how else would stories such as this one come to such a wide audience.

Well done. :sunny:

Drifter
Site Admin

Post by Drifter » May 23rd, 2011, 7:19 pm

There is a bit about it on Wikipedia
"Consett was once also the home of the unique Iron Theatre, a short-lived playhouse that stood in the town centre near Delves Lane from c.1880 until its demolition just before the First World War. The theatre was the brainchild of Sir David Dale, chairman of the board of directors of the Consett Iron Co. Ltd. and a keen amateur dramatist. Built entirely from the product of his iron and steel works (hence its name), the theatre enjoyed a brief reputation for producing spectacular operatic productions, largely funded at Dale's personal expense. The theatre struggled to survive after Dale's death in 1906 and was demolished for scrap shortly before the First World War.[3]"

There's bells ringing in my head, I'm sure i've read something about this theatre a few years ago.

In the original article it states "In 1880, Dale commissioned the building of a theatre that would be the town's first (the Empire was not to open until 1912)."

This is incorrect, it was not the first theatre in Consett. There was certainly a theatre in Consett as early as 1867, off the top of my head, i'm pretty sure it was over towards Trafalgar street. In 1876 Edward Fielding was the proprietor of the Theatre Royal in Consett, this may be the same theatre as in 1867.
The 'New Theatre Royal' was in the process of being erected in September 1896. It was a brick and stone building with a capacity of £50 at popular prices. They were expecting the theatre to be open by Christmas. Hugh Robertson of the Theatre Royal in Jarrow was the contact. Later on Hugh Robertson was the lessee of the New Theatre in Consett and Lloyd Clarance was resident Manager.

Silvers

Post by Silvers » May 23rd, 2011, 8:58 pm

mizzle wrote:I came across this site with photos and description of 'Consett's Iron Theatre'. I had never heard of this and wondered if anyone else had? To me the first photo looks like the old Globe Theatre which was in Front Street.

http://theirontheatre.yolasite.com/
Looking at the window shape, could this be the building situated to the left of the Freemasons Arms (as you face it) ?

Looks like where I attended Consett Boys Club, and which has "Masonic Hall" etched in the stonework these days (obviously the old masonic hall)

mizzle

Post by mizzle » May 23rd, 2011, 10:20 pm

Yes Silvers that's the building I was always told was the Globe theatre.

Silvers

Post by Silvers » May 23rd, 2011, 10:23 pm

Thank you
:)

Drifter
Site Admin

Post by Drifter » May 23rd, 2011, 10:55 pm

I think they are two different buildings. The 'Iron Theatre' according to the article was commissioned in 1880. The Globe was built in 1896.

http://www.theatrestrust.org.uk/resourc ... be-consett

If the Iron Theatre wasn't demolished until 1913, it should show up on some of the old photographs.

mizzle

Post by mizzle » May 23rd, 2011, 11:17 pm

History of the Globe theatre with photographs:
http://www.theatrestrust.org.uk/resourc ... be-consett